1978, June 1: Hadsworth Woman’s Fiery Death
On June 1, 1978, a 20-year-old woman in Hadsworth, West Midlands, England, apparently died from inhaling the fumes let off by a burning settee... which she was sitting on. No explanation was found for how the fire started; or why she didn't attempt to escape.
This is the first listing of this incident in Anomalies, and therefore will require more research to confirm it. This is especially true because the above comes from Jenny Randles and Peter Hough's 1992 book, Spontaneous Human Combustion; this book gives almost no sources for the accounts it relates, most often attributing them to "Author's own investigation" and "Historical archives traced and researched"... which essentially means "Just trust us." In this case, the above is attributed to Fortean Times magazine, but we are not told a date or issue number. For this reason, this account is marked as both "Unreliable" and "Investigate;" I will add new information as I get a chance to dig further.