1717: Polish Gentleman’s Death by Fire Breathing

The Legend:

In the year 1717,  John Henry Cohausen related in a book "That a Polish gentleman, in the time of the queen Bona Storza, having drank two dishes of liquor called brandy wine, vomited flames, and was burnt by them."

Not Quite Right...

        The above account comes from Jenny Randles and Peter Hough's 1992 book, Spontaneous Human Combustion. It is actually a variation of a more oft-told story, with a couple of key elements missing and changed... so this account is simply unreliable. The original story can be seen by following the link below.