1917: John Andrews’ Water Fuel
In 1917, before the United States entered World War I, a Portuguese man named John Andrews, from McKeesport, Pennsylvania, USA, demonstrated an unsual product at the Brooklyn Navy Yard to Commander Earl P. Jessop.
Andrews claimed to have found a substance that, when added to fresh or salt water, rendered a chemical fuel equivalent to gasoline. Andrews arrived at the Navy yard with just a small satchel, and was given a bucket of water and an empty can. Andrews took these into the back of his car for a moment, and returned with the bucket empty and the can apparently full of water. Jessop then took this to a boat whose fuel tank had been emptied, and poured it all in himself. In addition, a further half galleon of fresh water was then also poured into the tank.
The motor started on the first try, and ran at 75% efficiency until all of the fluid in the tank was exhausted. Not surprisingly, Andrews was asked to come back on the next day for further tests.
For the second test, Andrews was ushered into a bare concrete room with just one door and no drains fluid could be poured down. He was given a bucket of sea water and another empty gallon can. When Andrews emerged, once again the bucket was empty and the can was full, and once again the fluid he handed over started and ran a motor.
Andrews returned home as the Navy considered what they wanted to do about the unusual situation and, a few days later, the Secretary of the Navy, Josephus Daniels, asked for Andrews to come back to the Navy yard.
Andrews didn't. His rooms were discovered to be in a shambles, and it was thought he had been abducted... but later investigate found he had hurridly left for England to negotiate with the British government about his discovery. Andrews eventually returned to America, but never to the Navy yard. He became a hermit, and nothing more was heard of his possible water fuel.
This is just the first note of this account, and it will definitely be investigated later as time and resources allow.